About Our School
Welcome to Montlake Elementary, a 240-student public elementary school in the heart of Montlake, a neighborhood nestled between the Washington Park Arboretum and Interlaken Park.
Montlake Elementary is a united community of diverse students, families and educators engaged in challenging curriculum that is enhanced by environmental science and the arts enabling every learner to reach his or her full academic potential.
At Montlake our experienced faculty and principal, Melissa Gray, blend the best of old and new educational ideals. Students learning in our 1920s building are encouraged to maintain old-fashioned standards of courtesy and respect. Our curriculum also provides children with opportunities to learn through joyful play, free reading, and participating in annual school events such as Art Walk and the Montlake Carnival.
In addition to cultivating these traditions of a small community school, Montlake excels in providing the most modern elements of children’s education. Our many exemplary programs include:
- ALO Program
- State-of-the-art computer lab
- Award-winning Greenhouse and Sustainability program
- Sierra Club-sponsored Rain Garden
- Junior Great Books small-group literature study
- Strong commitment to art
- Enrichment classes including chess, French, and Spanish
Students of all backgrounds and interests will thrive in Montlake’s nurturing environment. Our consistently high state test scores reflect Montlake’s success, but do not define it. Montlake students reach beyond competence to creativity.
The Montlake Way Motto:
Be Safe, Be Kind, Be Fair, Take Responsibility.
Before and After School Drop-off and Pick-up
We would like to ask our parents to support us, once again, in helping to keep our children safe. Please remember the north side of East McGraw Street between 22nd and 20th Avenue is reserved for school buses only.
For safety and efficiency, please note:
- East McGraw Street is No Stopping Bus Zone Only
- Do not use East McGraw Street for drop-off or pick-up of students
- Drive only eastbound on East Calhoun Street next to the school
- Drive only southbound on 22nd in front of the school
- Do not park in front of or block residential driveways
Thank you, your support and cooperation is greatly appreciated!
Attendance and changes to student's schedule
If there are changes to your student’s before or after school arrangements please email Denise Austin.
- Report absences before 8:30am: (206) 252-3304
- All changes for Early Dismissal must be emailed or called-in before 11:30am.
- All changes for After-School Arrangements must be emailed or called-in before 11:30am.
- Going on the bus with a friend - please send a note to school with your child if they are going on the bus with a friend.
Electronic Readers and Cell Phone Policy
- School administrators and staff cannot be responsible for valuables that students bring to school.
- Electronic readers (e.g. Kindle, Sony Reader, B&N Nook, etc.) are NOT allowed at school.
- Students are discouraged from bringing cell phones to school.
- Students who do bring cell phones to school must keep them turned off and stored in their backpacks.
- If cell phones are found to be powered on during the school day, the parent will have to come to school to pick up cell phone from an administrator.
Montlake Volunteers & Visitors
We are asking ALL volunteers and visitors to please support us by doing the following:
- ALL volunteers are required by the District to fill out a "Seattle Public School - Screening Form" - forms are in the office.
- Upon arriving to school ALL volunteers are to come to the office before going to the classroom and sign-in on the “Volunteer & Visitors ” white binder with orange paper.
- Upon arriving to school ALL visitors are to come to the office and sign-in in the “Volunteer & Visitors ” white binder with orange paper.
- ALL volunteers and visitors are to please wear an “orange” Academic Volunteer Badge.
- Before departing ALL volunteers and visitors are to sign-out in the “Volunteer & Visitors ” white binder with orange paper.
- Before departing please return “Academic Volunteer Badge” to the office.